Scala Development Ninja
Full-time Position in Atlanta
Decooda, an exciting big data technology startup, is hiring rock stars for our team in Atlanta. We are Scala experts seeking front- and back-end programmers and engineers for our big data text analytics platform to provide our Fortune 50 clients with real-time business intelligence from social media channels and enterprise data.
If you are looking for the next big challenge in software development and want to learn the latest in bleeding-edge technologies, we’d like to speak with you about the opportunities at Decooda.
As a key member of our development team you will have the opportunity to contribute to the design and development of the our big data platform. You should have a strong background in object-oriented analysis and design, backed with experience in hands-on programming (Scala, Java, C++, C#, etc.). We are looking for individuals comfortable with the entire software lifecycle with rock solid data structures and algorithms, and knowledge of software development best practices. Specifically, we are seeking developers with experience that includes any combination of the following:
- Social media savvy.
- Great OO skills, including strong design patterns knowledge.
- Experience with Scala, Java, Groovy, Python, or C#, etc ; Scala is preferred
- Experience with functional language like Haskell, Scala, Lisp (preferred but not mandatory – desire to learn is a must).
- Experience with Actor based concurrent framework or language (e.g., Scala, Akka, Erlang, etc.)
- Experience with scrum and agile development.
- Data structures should be rock solid.
- Good knowledge of the full web stack.
- Experience in web frameworks like Play, Liftweb, Spring, Struts etc. are preferred.
- Experience with RESTful web services.
- Experience with Database schema design and SQL.
- Interest in Graph Database technology.
- Knowledge of software development best practices (CI / CD / TDD / BDD / DDD).
- Testing (ScalaTest, Specs, JUnit, TestNG, Cucumber, Selenium).
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3).
- Big Data (Spark, Lucene, ElasticSearch, Solr, Hadoop).
- Ability to work/travel as part of a team that is geographically distributed.
- Social Media APIs (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc.).
- Machine learning, NLP, statistical modeling.
Decooda is a rapidly evolving intelligent market insights company. Our mission is to turn big data into actionable insights that enable marketing and sales teams to identify insights and behavior that can drive real-time consumer targeting and engagement. We achieve our goals through a combination of developing cutting edge linguistic-cognitive analytics, massive parallel processing approaches, and creative cognitive applications and techniques.
Widespread interest and sustained calls for our product means that we are currently seeking to expand our team. We have several open development positions to support our growth.
The current positions are for a paid internship. Highly competitive salaries for full time positions are dependent on performance and continuing rate of company development.
The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the skills and qualifications listed below or will be able to offer convincing evidence that these skills and qualifications can be learned/developed rapidly.
Decooda recognizes that novel skills, creative talents, and non-standard approaches to problem solving are highly desirable attributes. To this end, applications are encouraged from those who see themselves as offering a significant benefit to the goals of Decooda.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree or Master’s in psychology or linguistics (if psychology, preferably with a concentration in experimental or cognitive psychology, or even social psychology)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel in particular)
- Calculate basic statistics in Excel (Averages, Standard deviation, T-test, If/then statements, Re-coding variables)
- Basic knowledge about experimental design and methodology
- What is the difference between within subjects and between subjects studies?
- What are demographic variables
- What is a confound?
Preferred Qualifications (applicants should explain how they exhibit any of the following skills):
- Knowledge of SPSS
- Some statistics background (i.e., what is a regression, how is a t-test different from a correlation?)
- Some knowledge of R (statistical program)
- Basic programming skills (e.g., java, visual basic, perl)
- Experience with science writing (i.e., writing up results in APA format)
- Knowledge of corpus
- Knowledge of power point presentations
- Knowledge of non-English language
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- Customer service experience
- Business experience
- Volunteer work